Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ah Long Pte Ltd Movie Review

Hola people! Today I shall write a review for the Singaporean movie "Ah Long Pte Ltd". This movie is directed by Jack Neo, the man that brought you the "I not stupid", "I not stupid 2" and "Just Follow law". "Ah long Pte Ltd" is probably Jack Neo's first action-comedy movie if I'm not mistaken. Other than that, most of the shooting for the movie took place in Malaysia. The movie is in mandarin, Cantonese, and Hokkien.

Oh yea. This movie is rated 18-PL for some nudity and elements of durian throwin-I mean, VIOLENCE.



This poster makes me go "LULZ" XD

But before I start blabbing, let's read the synopsis of the movie!:

Chen Jun (played by Richard Low) is the leader of Shao He Triad. The story opens with him deciding to “retire” from the triad business. Prior to his retirement, he elects Wang Li Hua (played by Fann Wong), a young but tough girl, as his successor.

Li Hua believes that changes need to be made to the current money lending system. Although Li Hua prioritizes the triad’s success, she is very much against the idea of using violent means to collect debts. Therefore, with the help of some professional consultants, Li Hua and several of her subordinates (played by KK and Daniel Tan) start adopting a series of creative tactics to attract money lenders and practice hilarious methods to pressure the money-lenders to repay in a non-violent way. However, Li Hua’s plan of “restructuring” her triad meets with obstacles and opposition from the majority of the conservative elders in both her own triad and rival triad.

At the brighter end of the world, Mr. Fang (played by Mark Lee) is a kind-hearted dance instructor who is slightly sissy in character. Fate has it that Mr. Fang runs into Li Hua on numerous occasions by chance. Since Li Hua’s mother has been pressuring her to get married, Li Hua decides to force Mr. Fang to marry her. Surprisingly, Mr. Fang agrees to it, wanting to prove his masculinity. Though finding it hard to accept the fact that Li Hua is a triad head, Mr. Fang approves of her effort to minimize the use of violence. Subsequently, he offers to help Li Hua out by introducing creative ways to reduce violent methods of debt collection.

Yes, a very interesting storyline...

Review courtesy of Wikipedia cuz' I'm just too damn lazy to write my own synopsis

Screenshots of the movie:





Okay..now for the review....

I have to say as a person who really enjoyed Jack Neo's previous works, I found this one rather disappointing. Gasp. Yes, it's true. This movie spells "FLOP".

No doubt there were many laugh out loud scenes,(mostly featuring the effeminate Mr. Fang), but there were also the parts that failed to deliver. Dear Mr. Jack Neo, when you're trying to have a funny effeminate character, try not to overdo it. He may just start to get on the audiences' nerves. Also, I found it rather weird that they had to incorporate comedy into the violence, yea, I know it's called slapstick but this isn't like your usual Saturday morning Tom and Jerry cartoon. There was blood, lots of blood, and yet they could still try to make getting hit by a durian in the face for two consecutive times....funny. Isn't that kinda like brit humour? At least I found Shaun of the Dead tolerable, no,wait, bad example-that was a helluva good movie.

Also...they had this weird animation scenes in between the fights. It was probably meant to make the movie look comical, I don't know, I just thought it looked kinda out of place. -_-''

Other than that, I couldn't ignore the computer graphics for the movie, it wasn't BAD but, well, it still looked fake enough to make me twitch in my seat. Another thing I can't stand about a movie is low budget graphics. Sure we can't compare with Hollywood, but at least...I think it's wise to just spend a little bit more money on the computer graphics!! I'm sorry if I'm asking too much from a movie but I would have tolerated the graphics if I found the movie decent enough overall.

On the plus side, the movie's leading lady(Fann Wong) is COOL. Seriously, you should see her whoop some Ah long ass! Lolz, Fann Wong's now my favourite Mediacorp actress!XD Also, you'll see a familiar face from " Just follow law" in the movie. I'm not gonna give out any spoilers, so go find out yourself! XP The action scenes were pretty decently cheorographed too. In the movie, there are also some catchy songs about Ah long's ,in fact, there are enough songs to make the movie a musical! Okay, the show's pretty entertaining, but I still found it disappointing.

That's how I feel anyway, but don't just take my word for it! Go watch the movie for yourself if you doubt my views...haha. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by sounding like a total prick, but this is what I really think about this movie. The good news is, I haven't given up hope in Jack Neo!! Hopefully he'll do better next time.

Here's the trailer, enjoy!:

Pei

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home